Methamphetamine, commonly called speed, meth, glass, or crystal, is an addictive stimulant. Methamphetamine is taken orally, injected, or snorted. It is also, like cocaine, turned into a crystal that is smoked. Methamphetamine is often produced in labs, either legal or illegal, which harm the environment.
What are the short-term effects of methamphetamine?
- Increased wakefulness
- Increased physical activity
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
- Increased body temperature
- Decreased appetite
- Hyperthermia (overheating)
What are the long-term effects of methamphetamine?
- Mood disturbances
- Anxiety and paranoia
- Hallucinations and delusions
- Extreme weight loss
- Severe dental problems, often called “meth mouth”
- Confusion and memory problems