Alcohol is a depressant that is sold as beer, wine or liquor. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, one in two teenagers consumed alcohol in the past year. Although many teenagers consider it fun, it is very dangerous. The effects of alcohol on your body depend on your size, weight, sex, age and the amount of food you have consumed.
What are the short-term effects of alcohol?
- Impairs reasoning and judgment
- Lack of coordination and impaired judgment and reasoning – this is why you cannot drink and drive
- Hangovers – nausea, dizziness and vomiting
- Violence and aggression
- Slurred speech
What are the long-term effects of alcohol?
- Liver disease
- Brain damage
- Heart disease
- If you suddenly stop drinking – withdrawal symptoms, including hallucinations, anxiety, convulsions
- If you are pregnant and drinking – your child may have fetal alcohol syndrome